I’ve used Travelzoo.com for several out-of-town trips, as well as restaurants but not for shows. Here are some tips I’ve learned to get the best deals:
- Get the free app for your phone. Check it every day for new deals. The best deals go within a day or two of posting.
- If you are thinking of going to another place for vacation, start looking at Travelzoo deals IN that city’s listings under Deals in Other Cities. For example, I got a great deal for 2 nights in Napa, California but it was listed in San Francisco, then Napa & Wine Country. I also got a great deal for a few nights hotel, dinner and free winetastings in Cambria, California listed under California Central Coast. I would have never found those deals if I just looked in my local listing, which sometimes has out-of-town deals but it’s inconsistent.
- Always call the hotel first to see if it really is a better deal than what you can get from the hotel itself.
- If you have limited dates, call the hotel first to make sure there are vacancies on those dates before buying the deal. Then immediately book the dates as soon as you buy the deal online.
- I’ve been able to get hotel reward points for my stays even though the front desk said I wouldn’t. Just ask them to input your loyalty number anyway.
- So far, I have not found any deals for shows in Las Vegas. I’ve always done better getting tickets directly from the show’s website or from a broker on the strip when we arrive in town.
Travelzoo, like Groupon, LivingSocial, etc. is hit or miss but there are some truly awesome deals if you are consistently checking the site or app, and do a little extra double checking to see if it really is a deal.